Thursday 25 June 2009

An advert that I've seen

Now I know just how difficult to get a decent ad out is...believe me, I know. If your spot is anywhere near decent after 3 internal hoops (average), the opinions of junior, medium and top clients, not to mention the dreaded research, then you should give yourself a big pat on the back.

I'm not really in that much of a position to be able to pass too much judgement on the work of others yet, mainly because I don't really think I've done anything of such note to warrant it...yet...but I've seen the new Foster's beer commercials on TV a few times now, and they've really got me thinking.









You see, to me it's a case of all the right ingredients being there, but the stars not quite aligning...for some unknown reason. Let's look at the statistics:

- Good client that has a history of buying decent work - Yes.

- Good agency writing the work - Yes.

- Good idea to hang your hat on and write to - I'd say so, Yes.

- A-list director agrees to shoot it - Yes. Most definitely yes.









So what happened here? Is it the scripts? Did the client muddy the waters? I'm a bit confused. The bit that really confuses me is that Frederick Bond's films are normally so simple in their construct - the Carling ads, Brylcreem etc. But this script, in my eyes, possibly over-complicates the idea...which is quite a simple one.









But then Frederick could've sort that out couldn't he? Hmmm, what do I know...



No comments: