Monday 26 May 2008

Good old days








I love Nintendo. I'm not ashamed to admit it. Last week I was in New York and stumbled upon Nintendo World at the base of the Rockefeller Tower. What a place. A dream come true.











My spare room is now filled with an exciting array of Nintendo 'crap' - mints in NES controller tins, Wii remote key chains that will never be used, Zelda Pez dispensers etc. I just couldn't help myself. Sadly I couldn't buy any Wii games 'on the cheap' as they won't work over here. Gutted. I'm having to cheer myself by tracking down and bidding for the Power Glove and the NES R.O.B.O.T. (below, on display in Nintendo World) on ebay...











Anyway, we used to work on Nintendo all the time, back in the days when they still allowed agencies to do creative ads. How sad a day it was when those celebrity-filled, white roomed family friendly spots first seeped soullessly onto our screens...I mean, sure, they obviously work and sell a bucket load of Wiis and DSs, but this is Nintendo, the company that has bought us the most amazingly creative bits of bizarreness that even make the odd appearance in the surreal corners of my dreams to this day.

Of course, their rationale is that the games are the creative part and that the branding therefore can afford to be minimalist, accessible and take no risks. But, I don't know...I just think it all feels a bit dull. (Having said that, Playstation advertising is brilliantly creative, whilst the majority of their games are quite straight, generally speaking of course).

I digress. At the beginning of last year a few of us had a whole lot of fun making a bunch of Nintendo DS idents for Channel 4 comedy sponsorship. I just wanted to slap a few of my favourites on here, as they still make me smile and bring back lots of happy memories (there are more kicking around on YouTube if you're interested). Here's to the good old days!











'Touchscreen - Shaving'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1WH83S2KOE











'Starfox'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uW0JXw0eQXk











'Pro Evolution Soccer'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewHGnIudE4Q

2 comments:

HenryVilla said...

Look don't make me participate in your stupid crap if you don't like the way I do it.... You make me get out of bed, you make me come over here.... You make me make a phony phone call to Edward Rooney?.... The man could squash my nuts into oblivion.... And-and-and then,... and then, you deliberately hurt my feelings.

Anonymous said...

the shaving one's wicked :D must have been fun fun fun filming those.