Saturday 23 April 2011

Football. Footballing. Football Goals. Win!

















I used to hate football and love skateboarding. Until, that is, the day my dad took me to watch Aston Villa in February 1993.

At that point in time Villa were 2nd in the first Premier League, pushing for the title. And from the moment Dwight Yorke scored the winner that fateful day I was proper hooked.

18 years later, all I've really witnessed is two league cup wins and a number of false dawns. But it's always an interesting ride with the Villa. Unlike other teams around us, not even a billionaire chairman has managed to turn our fortunes round. Indeed we're flirting (mildly) with relegation this year after pushing top 6 for the past 3. In the past 2 seasons we've been knocked out the Europa League by the same team: Rapid Vienna. And for the past 2 summers we've sold our best player to Man City.

I don't really know where this is going...and actually that sums up what it's like being a Villa, or indeed a football fan. I love the game, but where is it going? I'm not talking about 'the future of the game with all the crazy money etc', more like where's it going in general - I mean, its never ending really isn't it? It just goes on and on, until you win something I guess. Anyway, rambling now.

The photo above was taken after our last minute winner (always a pleasure) vs West Ham last weekend. There's no real reason for my posting of it, other than it makes me incredibly happy. I promise never to write about football on here again.

No comments: