Sunday 14 September 2008

Crack TV is Back

I'd rather watch a good American TV show/series than a movie nowadays.















So, Dexter's back. Boom. Season 3 will be on-air very soon over here. I've just watched the first episode. What a great, great show it is. I'm not normally into crime and all that, but Dexter is different, it's got a fascinating, morally confusing hook: he's a serial killer who only murders bad guys. So, you find yourself in the unusual predicament of liking a serial killer...which makes for great TV. Watch it.



















Also back on air is the Season 4 of Prison Break. Now, this really is crack TV. Like 24, you simply have to keep watching to find out what happens next. The first season was shit-hot, but then you wonder how they can spin it out. But they do, reasonably successfully as the breakees are on the run. Then season 3 - back in prison again, except it's the worst prison in the world. Then season four, out again. In, out, in, out. Some great characters in this series too, my particular favourite being the devilishly dark redneck rapist Teabag...amazing, the next Kevin Spacey?

Another brilliant bad guy, and also in the running for my mantle of the next Kevin Spacey, is the superb Michael Emerson aka Benjamin Linus in Lost. I'm going to sound like a right old geek now, but Lost is amazing. Most people just dip in and out, then go 'there's polar bears and they're actually all dead and the island is purgatory, and the writers just make it up as they go along'. Oh no no. This is screen writing at it's very best. The amount of times it has just blown me away is ridiculous. I know a few people who gave up in season 2 as it got a bit slow, but seasons 3 and 4 were just fantastic, mind-blowing in fact. Check out this well geeky map some psycho has put together...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

dexter is oh so good and i also had a sneak peak at S3 E1. it's gonna be great. also on my list: weeds, mad men and californication. great mix i think :D

Ferris said...

Hey Wal. Hope all's good. Which you recommend more out of Weeds and Californication? I need some new crack...

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately i think dexter s3e1 is wack, thats right...wack. Im quite disappointed.
However, its all about THE WIRE.
do it do it do it.

Ferris said...

Yeah, everyone keeps going on about the Wire. I've watched the first 4 episodes and don't really understand the hype. It's OK. I like the gritty realness of it, but I don't find the storyline/characters that interesting...except for that Omar guy. Maybe I just prefer stuff with more original and creative storylines, like Lost and Dexter...each to their own. I will give it another crack though as people keeps raving about it.

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean, it took me a while to get into it, but once your in its much deeper.
Dexter/Lost/Prison break/Heros etc seem gimmicky to me now.
maybe its just me.

Ferris said...

Heroes is well gimmicky, I hate it. Predictable, done a hundred times before. Disagree about Lost though. And Dexter. What about a bit of Columbo?