Sunday 1 May 2011

E-Chromi

I took a trip to the Design Museum over in Shad Thames yesterday to see the Designs of the Year exhibition there. Although quite small the exhibition was worth attending, with a handful of real stand-outs...

But it was this one, the E-Chromi, that stood out the most to me. In a nutshell, you drink a special biotic drink (looks a bit like an Actimel) then if you have a disease, you faeces comes out coloured. There's a chart to tell you which colour matches which disease.
























Very clever stuff. And a cracking example of collaboration between scientists and designers.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought that was a concept rather than an actual working thing?

After a quick Google I think I'm sort of right.

They have developed bacteria that changes colour based on various things but they haven't yet invented a yoghurt that would change the colour of your shit just yet. It's an example of how these bacteria could be used in the future.

Ferris said...

Yup, it's still just a concept at this stage. My bad.